“That which I tell you in the dark, speak ye in the light: and that which you hear in the ear, preach ye upon the housetops.” [Matthew 10:27]
In the interests of openness it seems opportune to post here an email I sent to Bishop Hugh Gilbert last April.
From: Br Dominic Mary, F.SS.R.
To: Bishop Hugh Gilbert
Date: 1 April 2026
Subject: Submission
My Lord Bishop,
In your letter of 22 January 2026 to our Rector Major, Fr. Michael Mary, you invited him to:
- Respond to me in writing regarding these allegations (if so advised)
- Remove the Open Letter from your website
- Make clear your communion with Pope Leo and the worldwide Catholic Church.
Within an hour of Father Michael forwarding your letter to those of us in New Zealand, I submitted to Father Michael my opinion that the Open Letter should remain as it is on our website.
Father Michael has shared with the community his video response to your accusations against him. Your follow-up letter claims that Father Michael has aggravated his offences by his video response.
I submit this email merely to have my voice on the record. I do not expect a response from you.
I am offended by your repeated focusing on our Rector Major as if he is the primary or sole cause of all our troubles. Father Michael has done all things with extensive consultation. For all our words and actions that you take exception to, Father Michael has acted with the strong support of more than two thirds of our number.
We like our Rector Major because he is reliably representing what we want and believe. We are responsible adults; we could very easily leave. The three of us who dissent from the majority opinion have done exactly that. We wish them well, and we regret that they do not see what we have been given the grace to see.
My Lord Bishop, I hold the opinion that modernism, in the sense in which St Pius X condemned it in Pascendi Dominici gregis, is the fake religion prophesied in the Apocalypse 13:11. This is a theological opinion. I am not an authority, no one is a “Bad Person” if they contradict me.
No authority on earth can condemn me for schism for an opinion when I am willing to be corrected.
If I'm wrong, let anyone try to convince me. But it will take more than a bullying authority commanding me to submit. I did not rush into this opinion and I’m not likely to rush out of it.
You want to know if we are in communion with Pope Leo XIV. I do not believe that modernists such as Prevost or Bergoglio are in communion with the pre-Vatican II Popes. I do not refuse communion with people who say I’m wrong.
Our troubles with Bishop Michael Gielen and yourself are not an isolated question of discipline. They are a small part of a much bigger picture, that has been in motion since the beginning of the 20th century. Pope Francis' speech of 13 September 2024 contradicts the Holy Bible more than a dozen times, on exactly the point of the first commandment. It is perfectly consistent with everything Bergoglio and other modernists have been saying and doing since the 1950’s.
We see your agenda.
Heterodox innovation gets patience. Reverence gets regulation. Revolution gets listening sessions. Tradition gets deadlines. For 70 years authorities corrupted with modernism have been destroying the faith, usually leaving enough wriggle room to pretend it’s not happening.
Cardinal Roche gave away the game in 2023, when his BBC remarks were widely reported as saying that “the theology of the Church has changed.” Countless other examples could be cited. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.
My Lord Bishop, I ask without expecting a response, can you point out ANYTHING Catholics believed before Vatican II and say we don’t believe that anymore? If the answer is yes, you’re a modernist.
If your religion evolved, then it was not revealed. And it is not supernatural.
The synthesis of all heresies (St Pius X’s expression, not mine) has no more authority over God’s children than an Anglican or a Buddhist.
You talk about schism as if it’s such a terrible thing.
It is.
You also know that Bishop Gielen and countless other prelates are never so happy as when in public liturgy with schismatics such as the Church of England. Certainly there is a schism, but we didn’t start it. You follow Leo XIV, who said “We are one! We already are! Let us recognize it, experience it and make it visible!” during vespers with schismatics and heretics. We are with St Margaret Clitherow, who said “I shall not say amen to your prayers, and you shall not say amen to mine.”
“Bear not the yoke with unbelievers. For what participation hath justice with injustice? Or what fellowship hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? Or what part hath the faithful with the unbeliever? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God; as God saith: I will dwell in them, and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore, Go out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing.” [2 Corinthians 6:14-17]
I’m very sorry, but until God grants a miracle of grace, we’re done talking. We do not need your permission to keep the faith of our fathers.
May the Sacred Heart of Our Lord and the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary bless and protect you.
Devotedly,
Br Dominic Mary, F.SS.R.
Bishop Hugh has not replied to the above. Fair enough, I did say that we’re done talking. I’ll retract that if he shows any interest in discussing the issues instead of treating us like stupid and naughty children.
May God have mercy on us all.
Br Dominic Mary, F.SS.R.

0 comments:
Post a Comment